Sunday, May 26, 2013

Beautiful Trio

Yesterday, i saw Venus after sunset. Although there was no other object visible to naked eye, my 10x50 binocular revealed Jupiter and Mercury. As sky darkens, Jupiter got visible to naked eye but i needed to stop observation to take care of my kid. After kid slept, i checked Sky and Telescope's May and June 2013 issues. Especially, June 2013 issue has an article about seeing these three object in daylight. I decided to prepare for next evening.
Today, i prepared my EOS 1100D camera and binoculars before sunset. As Sun sets, i scanned the sky with my binoculars. About 5-10 minutes after sunset i saw Venus. A few minutes later Jupiter revealed. I needed to wait for a few more minutes for Mercury. I was only able to see Venus with naked eye then. About 30-40 minutes after sunset, all three planets were easy to see with naked eye although their altitudes were lower than 10 degrees. I took many shots, one of which is this:


I catched Jupiter just before hiding behind the building. I will continue to observe the planets, their relative location changes very fast indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment